Roasted yellow split pea (YSP) flours were used to substitute wheat flour, at 10-20% (flour basis) in wheat bread formulations. Rheometry showed that roasted YSP flour addition increased elasticity and resistance to deformation and flow of the composite doughs, particularly at 20% substitution; instead, at 10% addition (either raw or roasted YSP flour), there were no effects on dough rheology and bread textural properties. Breads fortified with roasted YSP flour at levels >10% exhibited lower loaf-specific volume and harder crumb compared to control (bread without YSP flour). Moreover, only breads with 20% roasted YSP flour displayed a significantly higher staling extent and rate, compared to control, as assessed by large deformation mechanical testing and calorimetry (starch retrogradation) of crumb preparations. This formulation also showed a large increase in Î²-sheets and Î²-turns at the expense of Î±-helix and random coil conformations in protein secondary structure as assessed by FTIR spectroscopy. Roasting...
Impact of roasted yellow split pea flour on dough rheology and quality of fortified wheat breads.
A. Lazaridou, Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Biochemistry, Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Agriculture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Kotsiou, K., Sacharidis, D. D., Matsakidou, A., Biliaderis, C. G., Lazaridou, A.; Impact of roasted yellow split pea flour on dough rheology and quality of fortified wheat breads.. IFIS Food and Health Sciences Database 2022; doi:
Download citation file: